Christmas and New Year's holidays are a time when we enjoy Christmas treats in the company of our loved ones. And if you also want to impress your family and friends with a delicious dessert and thus brighten up their winter moments, we suggest you prepare a traditional Italian Christmas bread - panettone. The following is a recipe for panettone, which is easy and therefore suitable even for beginners.
Panettone ranks among traditional Italian desserts, and the recipe for it was already known during the Renaissance. Today we can find several versions of this delicious Christmas bread, and we have prepared a recipe for you, with which to go with the Christmas bread raisins and orange and lemon peels we also add pieces of chocolate.
The recipe is completely easy, so even novice cooks can make their loved ones happy with it.
- Ingredients for the dough:
- 4 tablespoons of warm milk
- 1 tablespoon of dry yeast
- 8 spoons of sugar
- 250 g of butter
- 5 eggs
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1 lemon peel, grated
- 1 orange peel, grated
- 500 g of flour
- 100 g of raisins
- 120 g pieces of dark chocolate
- 3 tablespoons of rum flavoring
- 8 tablespoons of candied orange and lemon peel, chopped
- pinch of salt
- butter (for coating the pan) Ingredients for the dressing:
- 1 tablespoon of egg white
- 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar
- a little powdered sugar (for sprinkling)
- In a small bowl, mix the milk, yeast and 1 teaspoon of sugar. Wait a few minutes.
- Mix the remaining sugar with the butter and vanilla extract in a large bowl with a hand mixer. Blend until you get a light colored creamy texture. Then add lemon and orange peel and mix again.
- Beat the eggs and gradually add them to the mixture. If you notice that the mixture is hardening, add a teaspoon of flour.
- In a new large bowl, mix the flour and a pinch of salt. Then make a well in the middle of the dough and pour both mixtures (milk mixture and butter and egg mixture) into it.
- Fold the dough, then knead it for 5 minutes or until it becomes sticky and firm.
- Knead the dough on the floured surface for another 10 minutes or until it becomes soft and stretchy. Then transfer it to a lightly buttered bowl. Place the bowl in a warm place and wait 2 hours.
- Heat the rum and raisin extract in a small saucepan over low heat for 5 minutes. Then set the mixture aside and wait for it to cool.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface. Knead for another 5 minutes and gradually add raisins, candied peel and pieces of chocolate. Then shape it into a ball and place it in a pan that you have previously coated with butter.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and let it rise for another 1 hour.
- Mix powdered sugar and egg white and brush the top of the dough with the mixture.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 180° for 40-50 minutes. Wait for the dessert to cool, then sprinkle the top with powdered sugar. Bon Appetit!
– If you are not the biggest fans raisins, you can also prepare the recipe without them and only add to the dough pieces of chocolate.
– Desserts can be served on the side oranges and lemons you also add another candied fruit, e.g. tangerines, limes, grapefruits...
– If you want the panettone to stay fresh longer one week after baking, him on room temperature save to impermeable plastic film or bags.